Chances are, even if you’re starting out as a drummer, you’ve already had a bash on the kit. If so, then easy songs such as the ones below might not seem challenging - or appealing - enough.
Moreover, you might feel that the instrument doesn’t lend itself to learning music rigidly fixed on the page, that drumming is about learning beats, and learning to embellish and adapt them in a natural way.
But, as with any other instrument, the usefulness of learning specific pieces can’t be stressed enough. It helps you to focus on and develop particular skills, and it introduces you to a range of beats, drumming styles and other stock elements of performance and technique.
Not least, learning a song from start to end requires discipline. And if you’re going to be a great drummer - and you absolutely are - then you’ll need heaps of that. That means no rushing, no dragging, and no spontaneous 20-minute solos.
Easy drum songs for beginners
- ‘One Love’ by Bob Marley and The Wailers
- ‘Take Me to Church’ by Hozier
- ‘At Last’ by Etta James
- Dreierleier by Ralf Kleinehanding
- ‘Domino’ by Jessie J
- ‘Rockaway Beach’ by Ramones
- ‘Little Talks’ by Of Monsters and Men
- ‘All Time High’ by Rita Coolidge
- Première Marche by Jacky Bourbasquet
- ‘The Modern Age’ by The Strokes