It’s a long way from the most basic motions to the most incredible piece of virtuosity. Surely few guitarists can say they’ve never wondered just how wide this gap is when it comes to their instrument.
There are countless breathtaking pieces of guitar music and there’s no way to rank the hardest of them with any certainty. Still, this list pulls together ten hugely difficult works for the instrument that only the most accomplished masters can play.
Don’t think of them as insurmountable challenges, because they aren’t. Instead, treat them as motivational targets to aspire to. If you keep striving toward them, if you keep working hard, you’ll be amazed at what you end up achieving.
Here we go - ten pieces that represent the pinnacle of guitar-playing. You can find guitar sheet music for each of them on nkoda.
Most difficult guitar songs of all time
- Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Francisco Tárrega
- ‘Bark at the Moon’ by Ozzy Osbourne
- Head in the Clouds by Maria Linnemann
- Danse rythmique by Ida Presti
- ‘Symphony of Destruction’ by Megadeth
- Folios by Tōru Takemitsu
- ‘Freebird’ by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Gris y mar by María Luisa Anido
- ‘The Animal’ by Steve Vai
- Sonata Giocosa by Joaquín Rodrigo